Signal Cannon Spruced Up. It was first mounted on Klipberg in 1734 during the rule of the Dutch East India Company.
The cannon was fired to warn burghers of danger or to summon them to town. However, its main function was to notify farmers in the region of the arrival of ships visiting the Cape, enabling them to take their produce to Cape Town for sale. According to Nina van der Westhuizen in her book “A Darling History”, ‘A series of cannons, all set on hilltops, would relay the message far inland. Among others, cannons were placed on Dassenberg near Kleine Postband on Klipberg north of Darling.’ The cannon serves as a valuable reminder of the history of the region.
Click for the full Spring 2017 Newsletter – Museum Spring Newsletter 2017